I’m Not Completely Selfless
Nathan Rice recently published a post titled, Respect Requires Altruism, in which he points to me as an example of a selfless theme author.
To that, I have to say, “Thank you, but I’m not completely selfless.” Although I did start Wpdesigner because I simply enjoyed creating themes and giving them away, right now, I continue to release free themes to attempt to dominate the free WordPress themes niche, which is where I believe the biggest potential lies.
If you meet me in real life, I probably come off as a jerk with a mild case of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- I say what’s on my mind and I don’t care about burning bridges.
- Sometimes, I make idiotic assumptions and later on would have to swallow my words.
Overall, I’m not that nice of a person and I make lots of mistakes. For example, if you sound lazy in your email asking for WordPress help, I’ll ignore and delete it.
For another example, a while ago, I stepped out of the premium themes race and decided to release free premium themes, but now I’m bored. Why am I bored? Although I believe the biggest money-making potential actually lies in free WordPress themes, working alone with no short-term gains is really discouraging.
Right now, I’m thinking about going with my second choice, which is running a themes club:
- to make some short term money
- to make myself happy with the extra money for the holidays (some new tech toys from Think Geek would be nice) and not to mention my family and girlfriend would appreciate better gifts
- to compete with everyone currently selling WordPress themes.
(That’s not to say I won’t be releasing more free WordPress themes. I will.)
The one thing you should remember from this post is that I’m a competitive jerk with a mild case of OCD, who often contradicts himself. That’s all I have to rant about. Have a nice weekend… Oops, today’s only Thursday.